Every school day, MLWGS provides the meals students need in order to learn. Your child(ren) may qualify for free meals (Breakfast- $3.00; Lunch- $5.00). This packet includes an application for free meal benefits, and a set of detailed instructions.
The food service operations at MLWGS does not directly participate in the Federal School Breakfast and Lunch Programs, and therefore does not receive state or federal reimbursement of any kind. The operation is supported entirely by the sale of food items. This system allows students to select from a wide array of choice. Food items are priced individually and the total cost of a student meal depends on the items selected. Menus are available online.
If you are interested in applying for the meal credit program, complete the application attached to this letter and return it to the school as soon as possible. Information provided on the application will be verified with the Department of Social Services. The information you provide will be treated confidentially and will be used only for eligibility determination and verification of data. You will be notified by the Assistant Director if your MLWGS student is approved for the meal credit. Contact the Assistant Director (804) 354-6800 x1001 if you have any questions.
In order for a MLWGS student to qualify for a credit toward the cost of breakfast and lunch, they or their household must receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and/or Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF) from the Department of Social Services. Foster, group home, or refugee children also qualify for meal credits. There is no qualifying for meal credits under Federal income guidelines. In some cases, home school divisions that provide meals to all students will support extending benefits to students attending MLWGS.
A child’s eligibility is in effect for the current school year and up to one month of the subsequent school year. A new application is required annually to continue benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1) MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE? Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first month of this school year, through October 1. If you do not send in a new application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price for meals.
2) If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year due to a change in status or enrollment in one of the programs listed above.
3) What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? For clarification you should contact: Mr. Max Smith (804) 354-6800 x1001, firstname.lastname@example.org. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Dr. Robert Lowerre (804) 354-6800 x2180, email@example.com.
4) May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free meals.
5) My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?To find out how to apply for Virginia SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call (855) 635-4370.